Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Shearing Day!

Getting a pedicure! It's a spa day for the sheep!
All newly shorn (expect UFO to the left)
My mother, brother and daughter Stella all wearing something hand knit!
Pre-shearing....
Shearing day went well, thankfully not as hot as last year! Our woolly beasts are now tucked in the barn until they grow a bit of it back or until the sun warms us up for good! The wool is beautiful, I have been itching to get skirting it so I can really look through it. Willa's fleece got many ooo's and aaa's from everyone watching, it is pitch black on the inside and chocolate brown on the outside. The 2 new cormo fleeces also look delicious. Although one of the Cormos we found out is not actually female.... we all had a good laugh, but now i have the unpleasant business of correspondence with the woman who sold them as good "breeding" stock. Oh well, it made our shearer's day to see something out of the ordinary.

I will post more pictures of the fleeces soon! Thank you Sara G and Sara W from the CSA who helped us that day, and to the Schneider family, we could not have run this day as smoothly without them!

1 comment:

  1. Since I don't live in a rural area, I appreciate seeing these - gives me a better idea of what happens on shearing day :)

    ReplyDelete