Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sorrow and Joy




Bernice finally went into labor after many of her companions had surprised us with lambs. Bernice did not surprise us, but although we could tell it was going to happen anytime the hours kept ticking away. She did not seem to be struggling or in much discomfort, thus we and our vet on the phone assumed she must not be quite ready yet. Finally late afternoon we had had enough worrying and called the vet out. We quickly realized that a lamb was breach (my nightmare!) and was holding up the others! After some manipulation we were able to birth the first lamb. Then came the 2nd.... and 3rd. Sadly lamb one and three were dead, but lamb 2 who we have now named Bess survived and is healthy and active. I blame myself for this outcome. I should have been more proactive about checking her internally before it was too late. Next time I will put my "willies" aside and go digging - as our vet has referred to it as.

We are glad to have at least one darling little lamb for are heroic mamma.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, so sorry that 2 of the lambs were stillborn :(

    The video is adorable though. What a lovely little lamb.

    ReplyDelete